Thank you so much for joining us on this journey to raise awareness to sex trafficking in the US. We have already felt your love and support through emails, posts and comments. So here we go with Day 1.
We want to take Day 1 to dispell myths and stereotypes surrounding commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC).
Below are common myths or stereotypes
- Children and youth choose to enter the sex trade.
- Children in the commercial sex industry are "bad kids."
- Children in the commercial sex industry like to have lots of sex.
- Children/youth lure and take advantage of unsuspecting men.
- All children/youth in the commercial sex industry are drug addicts.
- Sexual exploitation is work.
- Youth make a lot of money in the commercial sex industry.
- Being in "the life" can be exciting and glamorous.
- Sexually exploited children/youth have power and control within the commercial sex industry.
- All pimps are male.
- Only girls are involved in CSEC.
- Sexually exploited youth don't leave beause they like the commercial sex industry.
- CSEC is a victimless crime
- CSEC is not a big problem in the U.S.