Why One Dress?

Many of the girls who are trafficked only have One Dress.
We are wearing One Dress to remind us each day that wearing only One Dress is reality for these girls.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My hope as I start this journey...

The day I first heard of the problem of sex trafficking in Atlanta stands etched in my memory. Round white tables surrounded by fellow church members. A screen down with a power point. A man sitting on a stool. The sun light glistening through the cracks in the blinds.

The problem hit my heart like a blade. My heart ached for the victims. I wanted to help. But I sit here years later not knowing much more than I did when I left my Sunday school room.

When Laura first shared about the One Dress idea I wondered if I could stand to wear one dress for a month or more, but then I realized that I needed and wanted a month of intentional reflection and studying about what's happening and what's been done to both prevent and stop this problem.

But I want this to be about more than just learning and understanding the plight better. I want to know what I can do... what my church can do... and I want to spread the word. I don't want to stop at discussing "the weight of the world" on this blog while children suffer caught up in sex trafficking. I pray instead that this blog help spread the word and opens the door for real change.

The link below is to a beautiful song that convicts my heart... Enjoy!
http://scwood.tumblr.com/post/7081289605/if-you-dont-mind-take-a-moment-to-check-out-my

Thanks, Joy, for introducing it to me. Tell your friend that I'm indebted to him for sharing it with us.

Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment